Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
248 Earth years
715 miles | 1,151 kilometers
Interesting Facts About Pluto
- Pluto is only about 1,400 miles wide. At that small size, Pluto is only about half the width of the United States.
- Pluto is about 3.6 billion miles away from the Sun and has five moons.
- Pluto’s atmosphere is thin and composed mostly of nitrogen, methane and carbon monoxide.
- Pluto and its largest moon, Charon, are so similar in size that they orbit each other like a double planet system.
- On average, Pluto’s temperature is -387°F (-232°C), making it too cold to sustain life, but it does have a heart-shaped glacier bigger than Texas.