Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
17 hours 14 minutes
84 Earth years
15,759.2 miles | 25,362 kilometers
Facts about Uranus
Interesting Facts About Uranus
- Uranus is known as the “sideways planet” because it rotates on its side.
- Uranus was discovered in 1781 by William Herschel.
- Uranus was the first planet found using a telescope.
- Uranus is an Ice Giant planet and nearly four times larger than Earth.
- Uranus has 27 known moons, most of which are named after literary characters.
- Like Saturn, Jupiter and Neptune, Uranus is a ringed planet.